Welcome! Glad you're here.

Welcome, family and friends! In an attempt to avoid chronic and obsessive Facebook updates ("Max had an A+ burp this morning!") and grainy ultrasound picture's of baby's right elbow (. . . you mean, not each of my 400 friends care to see this?), here you will find updates on Baby Kaplan, our journey into parenthood (the good, the bad, and the drooly), and living as a family of 3. So sit back, nosh on something yum, and click around.

Love,
Heidi, Josh, & Max

PS: As we are first time bloggers, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please note that we only accept praise.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Coming in for a landing!! And, heartburn.

Today marks my 35th week of carrying the little booger, and all systems are still a healthy "go". That isn't to say, however, that there haven't been a couple pit stops along the way. Let me be more specific: a couple of NASTY, ick, please-don't-let-a-picture-accompany-this-post pit stops.

Besides charlie horses and heartburn, the pregnancy has been pretty seamless. Our precious bundle lets me know he's always around via kicks, shoves, and shimmies, and all my doctor's appointments have been par for the course (don't I sound like such a pro at this). However, the past week presented me with a new - and quite scary when you're not prepared for it - symptom: nose bleeds. I had one at the beginning of last week, and was told by my OB to alert her if I had another. Last Friday night, on the coat tails of absolutely nothing, my nose began to bleed like the rivers of Capistrano (or, if my husband was writing this, "the bleed was more significant than average"). I ran over to the kitchen sink while Josh unraveled half a paper towel roll to be promptly lodged under my nostrils. At this point, attempting to pinch my nose to stop the bleed would have been about as effective as Captain Murdoch feverishly tossing buckets of water off the Titanic. So we went to Scottsdale Healthcare.

The medical staff was quite wonderful and helped to keep me as calm as possible. I was hooked up to a monitor to check on Baby, who was rollin' around, clearly having no clue as to what was going on inches above the surface (ah, to be young). I'd been bleeding for a couple hours, and after everything checked out with Baby, I was sent down to the ER. It was at this point that the bleeding began to cease, so the physician could get a good peek. Long story short, I had a "rhino rocket" (look it up) put into my nose and was sent home at about 2:00 am. I made it about 14 hours before I started to panic with that thing in my nostril (my breathing was extremely restricted). Josh was supportive of taking it out, and the doctor had stated that it was perfectly fine to remove it when it became too much. I have since felt a lot better, but need to see an ENT doctor tomorrow to hopefully find the source of the bleed and figure out if it needs to be cauterized (you weren't eating dinner right now, were you?)

Other than THAT, Josh and I have made our final preparations for Baby K's big arrival!! We have everything we need (haha, like I know), and watching Josh assemble all of the baby's jumper-bouncer-boingie things has been such a treat for me. He's going to be the best dad. Our hospital bags and 85 more lbs of things we won't need are packed up by the door.
The whole thing feels like a surprise party: the decorations are up, lights are off, Chex Mix poured, guests hiding behind the wet bar . . . . we're ready, and all that's left is the grand arrival of the birthday boy. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment