Welcome! Glad you're here.

Welcome, family and friends! In an attempt to avoid chronic and obsessive Facebook updates ("Max had an A+ burp this morning!") and grainy ultrasound picture's of baby's right elbow (. . . you mean, not each of my 400 friends care to see this?), here you will find updates on Baby Kaplan, our journey into parenthood (the good, the bad, and the drooly), and living as a family of 3. So sit back, nosh on something yum, and click around.

Love,
Heidi, Josh, & Max

PS: As we are first time bloggers, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please note that we only accept praise.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I'll sleep when I'm dead

Hi ya'll! I figured that while these three heaping teaspoons of instant coffee are still running through my veins like a well-oiled machine, I should squeeze in a blog entry before my eyes turn into little "x"'s and I'm passed out asleep, tongue lopped out of my mouth and the kid in his bouncer wondering what's happening to Mommy.

Max has passed the 4 week mark, and will officially be 1 month old on Friday! He's really been a great baby, crying only when he truly needs something (I'm hungry/I'm wet/I pooped/I'm gassy/I'm cold/I'm hot/I want to be held/I've had enough reruns of Will and Grace to last a lifetime can we please turn it off for the love of Pete). I've taken over nighttime duty, as Josh has returned to work and needs to get a full night's sleep as best he can. Over the course of 4 weeks, I have become quite accustomed to Max's noises and cries. Now, I simply wait with bated breath at the sound of him stirring with a good cry on deck, rather than spazzing out and tightly gripping Daddy's hand under the covers with the melodrama of that old couple at the end of Titanic who stay in their bed to go down with the ship.

Yes, I just compared my crying infant to drowning in the Atlantic.

This is the part where I "freeze frame" the blog entry, break the fourth wall and turn to you, the reader, explaining that in all honesty, it's fun to be slightly dramatic and martyr-ish when it comes to detailing the life of a new parent. It's truly been a fantastic, wondrous journey since day one, and although it's had its moments of deep sighs and helpless cries, it is exponentially outshadowed by the immense joy and excitement that Max has brought into our lives! So please, if you are considering expanding your family and are reading this, don't add that chastity belt to your Christmas wish list just yet.

Ok. "Time in!"

Throughout the nights of getting up to feed, rock, burp, swaddle, and stare out the window at the sun mocking me in its first appearance of another day, I have picked up a few morsels of wisdom that can only be acquired on the journey of new motherhood:

-12:00am episodes of Say Yes To The Dress are the same ones that already ran earlier in the day. Minus one point for midnight feedings.
-Food indeed tastes so much yummier when prepared by someone other than one's self.
-Number of times the term "counter-intuitive" appears in the book Happiest Baby on the Block: 56.
 (First tip-off that parenthood is a whole new ball game).
-Blogs from other moms or mom-to-be's are actually interesting now.
-Any string of words can be made into a soothing song, you just gotta sell it. Here, try it: "Four score and seven years ago . . . ." (Interpretive dance moves don't hurt the cause).

Max is a happy baby - and after surveying that the next youngest person living on our street is in his upper 40's, dare I say that our little Max is, indeed, the Happiest Baby on the Block.







1 comment:

  1. 4 weeks already? Seriously? I can't even believe it, I was just visiting you in the hospital! You are so funny, and I love reading your blog. I can't wait to share my mommy moments with you. xoxo

    ps- it was so great to hang out with you guys at Suz's wedding!

    ReplyDelete