Welcome! Glad you're here.

Welcome, family and friends! In an attempt to avoid chronic and obsessive Facebook updates ("Max had an A+ burp this morning!") and grainy ultrasound picture's of baby's right elbow (. . . you mean, not each of my 400 friends care to see this?), here you will find updates on Baby Kaplan, our journey into parenthood (the good, the bad, and the drooly), and living as a family of 3. So sit back, nosh on something yum, and click around.

Love,
Heidi, Josh, & Max

PS: As we are first time bloggers, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please note that we only accept praise.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bon Appetite!

If there is one thing that I have learned while surfing through friends' and strangers' blogs alike, it is this:

You are not a true blogger until you have posted a recipe.

I do not care what the recipe is for, and if you were to argue that many blogs have nothing to do with anything that would necessitate a corresponding recipe, well, you'd be wrong. Blogs about die-hard dachsund-lovers, you argue? Organic milk bone recipe. Star Wars enthusiast? Skywalker Sliders (light saber garnish optional, but highly recommended). Here's the rub: I don't cook, and on the rare occasion that I do, I'm not excited about it. But it seems as though every blog I read contains at least one culinary tutorial, leaving me feeling a little inadequate in my own postings so far (unless "Add 1 cup skim milk to 1 cup cornflakes, stir and serve" constitutes?)
Didn't think so.

So it is with great pride, thrillage, and made-up words that I present to you my very own recipe. Since this will most likely be the only recipe I ever write about, I'm going to savor the experience for all its worth and provide you with the backstory...

Since starting my post-baby exercise regime, I have become more consious about the foods I consume, getting my jimmies off of knowing that what I am eating is either fuel of some type, or a decadent occasional treat. When considering how constrained my time is in the mornings, I brainstormed up a quick, pop-in-your-mouth snack that would contain the right type of nutrition to support the impending exercise. So far, my "Peanut Balls" (I won't laugh, nope) have been a flourishing success, so says me.

So here is it, friends, family: My Very Own Peanut Ball (tee hee!) Recipe. I'm so excited! Omg omg ok here we go:

Ingredients:

1/2 of a 16 oz jar of Trader Joe's organic, unsalted peanut butter

1/2 of an 8oz bag of Trader Joe's raw almond slices (any type of raw, unseasoned almond will do, but I prefer the sliced variety for their texture)

1/4 cup of organic honey

1 cup of  Trader Joe's WonderCocoa powder

3/4 cup of water

Mix water and cocoa powder to form a paste.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Roll into 1" balls.

Freeze.

Store them in the freezer; even frozen, they remain soft enough to bite into.



Warning: these puppies are DENSE. Keep in mind that they are meant to be eaten one at a time as a
form of sustainance, not popped like Rolos. It also seems silly to clarify, but you will not enjoy these bite-sized snacks if you don't like peanut butter. But I feel that the protein content with honey and cocoa powder for added taste is the perfect combination. If you're feeling particularly motivated, other things you can try adding to the mix are flax seeds and vitamin B12 drops (you can find them at Sprouts).

Happy "cooking"!

                                  

1 comment: