Welcome! Glad you're here.

Welcome, family and friends! In an attempt to avoid chronic and obsessive Facebook updates ("Max had an A+ burp this morning!") and grainy ultrasound picture's of baby's right elbow (. . . you mean, not each of my 400 friends care to see this?), here you will find updates on Baby Kaplan, our journey into parenthood (the good, the bad, and the drooly), and living as a family of 3. So sit back, nosh on something yum, and click around.

Love,
Heidi, Josh, & Max

PS: As we are first time bloggers, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please note that we only accept praise.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

I'm, like, a mom, for realsy.

Lots of exciting things going on lately for our little munchkin, who is not so little any more - 20 lbs, to be exact. First, he has been crawling up a storm for the past month, typically straight past his toys and onto the much more alluring calls of our rustic Mexican pine coffee table (complete with pointed, "rusted" handles). While our baby proofing could probably use a little bit more fire under its ass, Max has done quite well exploring much of the house without so much as a bump here and a scrape there. He has also picked up some adorable little habits. He has started to pucker is mouth into an "O" and breathe through it creating a whistle noise due to the seperation of his front teeth. Totally adorbs! Also, my husband and I were mesmerized when he started to snap while eating his solids in the high chair. Yes, snap. All throughout dinner. Totally serious expression on his face, as if to say, "yes, I am snapping. Care to provide a little bass line?" If you didn't know, Max's parents are kind of scary fanatics of Michael Buble so this was a real treat. Then we started talking about all the shows he'll sell out and what his set list should be and how he should go by just "MAX" 'cause that really pops written in lights.

Anywhoo, Max continues to go to physical therapy every other week. We are hoping make them monthy visits soon, as he is making all the right strides developmentally, and so far, his torticollis has shown very little in the way of affecting his milestones. Max also started swim lessons this week! Our little fishie will enjoy 8 lessons in hopes of getting him comfortable and familiarized with the pool. We go to classes through Kidtastics, which a friend of mine co-owns and for which she teaches. Max and I attend with my friend and her sweet little daughter, so the four of us are sharing this awesome experience together.

In addition to PT, swimming lessons, and our old standby, Musicology, Max and I continue to go to Stroller Strides a few times a week. It's incredible how after only 8.5 short months, we have so much to do, a pretty solid routine, and as I said in earlier posts, I am feeling pretty on top of my game with him most days. So it shouldn't have come as a surprise to me when, after our workout as a mommy friend and I were feeding the babes in Starbucks, another mother came up to us and asked us for some advice. She was hauling a double stroller with two beautiful, sleeping twin baby boys and juggling a diaper bag with her fresh cup of something uber caffeinated, I can promise you that. As she approached my friend and I, holding our respective kids, I thought she may be wanting to know what exercise program we are a part of, or, as I had wondered myself before discovering Strides, "why are you all hoarded in front of Starbucks every day at 10:30 like a swarm of bees?" Instead, she asked us if we wouldn't mind giving her a few tips on feeding, how many ounces, have they started solids? How did you know when to stop burping them? etc. She appeared as though she had it all together, but the woman had questions, and she was refreshingly candid about her feelings of being overwhelmed at times. Now keep in mind, I have only been a mother for under 9 months, and as she looked at us for a little guidance, her eyes wide with acceptance of anything we were willing to give her, I had a flashback. That was ME. Not long ago. AT ALL. I had asked so many questions, just like her. I had dark circles under my eyes, no offense lady but just like her. I had a cup of something dangerously caffeinated in my grip at almost all times, probably just like her. And here I am now, sitting on the other side of the table, being asked. All of a sudden I felt like I should be perched on a tree somewhere, all feathery sporting a gradution cap and monacle, gesturing to a chair saying,"sit, sit, let me tell you all about it." I had the answers. At least, I had the answers that worked for me, and this woman wanted to know my experience. I have an experience.

As my friend and I answered her questions, her head bobbled in appreciation and mental note-taking. I had to laugh - that was SO me. Still is, at times.

It's amazing how quickly new mothers bond with one another. Do we bond out of our shared anxieties and fears? Or is it moreseo the common denomiators that now bind us, like the sleeplessness and selflessness that comes with the territory? My appreciation level went through the roof when a more experienced mommy could give me a tip, or hell, just nod and tell me that what I was feeling/doing was normal. I never felt so extrordinary to be told that my experience was ordinary. The gratefulness was palpable. I would want to hug and kiss that woman, buy her a frozen yogurt, and possibly, down the line, get her name tattood on my ankle.

Whatever the common denominator is among new mothers, it is strong, it is visceral, it is everlasting.

1 comment:

  1. Something about your very own mother looking more like a real person now with a separate identity who did the same things long ago...asked the same questions...felt the same fears and anxieties, figured it out and held it together. She grew you, and grew herself along the way. The "other woman" in your life that maybe looks just a little different than before, toting a purse full of experience, the best teacher.

    ReplyDelete