Welcome! Glad you're here.

Welcome, family and friends! In an attempt to avoid chronic and obsessive Facebook updates ("Max had an A+ burp this morning!") and grainy ultrasound picture's of baby's right elbow (. . . you mean, not each of my 400 friends care to see this?), here you will find updates on Baby Kaplan, our journey into parenthood (the good, the bad, and the drooly), and living as a family of 3. So sit back, nosh on something yum, and click around.

Love,
Heidi, Josh, & Max

PS: As we are first time bloggers, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please note that we only accept praise.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

One piece, two piece, red piece, blue piece.

Today does not mark any milestone in my pregnancy. It is not the baby shower, nor is it the day I experienced my first Braxton Hicks contraction. I already had my glucose testing earlier in the week, and have another couple weeks to go until the next ultrasound. Nope, nothing categorically momentous about this day. Except for one thing.

Today, I am going to shop for a maternity bathing suit.

The prospect of this day has been floating around in my mind since the first sign of my uterus's Extreme Makeover, Home Edition and having to contort like something out of Zumanity to shave my legs. Briefly considering each of my existing two-piece suits, then laughing as I shoved them to the back of my drawer (or was I crying?), I understood what needed to happen.

I have three more months of pregnancy. With the clock counting up to the most incredible moment of our lives, and counting down the days we are just "the two of us", Josh and I have scheduled a small weekend getaway trip to Coronado Island at the end of the month. Needless to say, there will be lots of beach time. Needless to say, I'll be wearing a bathing suit for this recreation. Needless to say, hot damn, I'm going to be huge.

Now, I am by no means sitting here lamenting my changing body and proclaiming a "poor me, I am soooo fat" campaign for compliments. I LOVE my changing body; it is fascinating to me, and I thank it every day for knowing how to house and grow our precious gift. On the cuteness scale, pregnant bellies are right up there with kittens wearing snowshoes. All I'm saying is that bathing suit shopping is no particular treat without child, let alone with one. Can I get an "Amen, sister"? More than all else, I just hope that an innocent dip in the pacific doesn't result in Jaws mistaking me for a baby seal.

Ooh, baby seals. Pregnant bellies are as cute as those, too.

Anyway, things have been going very well in the pregnancy; I am almost 7 months along! As I stated before, I had my glucose testing earlier this week. The results came back within 24 hours, and I am happy to report that I am all clear for gestational diabetes. Baby's heartbeat continues to be strong, and I go in the day after Memorial Day for the next ultrasound - my 30 weeker! I will be seen by the OB every two weeks thereafter until I am finally holding him in my arms (the baby, not my OB).

Just as noteworthy, my friend Shannon, who has a freakishly adorable 7 month-old of her own, invited Josh and me to her new house to take home almost an entire boatload of baby stuff (have I thanked you again in the last 10 minutes, Shannon?) We got to visit with her little angel, Suri, and she took to Josh right away. He really is a natural. We also got to peek into the life of a new parent. If Josh and I hold it all together half as well as Shannon does, we'll be sitting pretty.

The past week has also presented me with my very first Mother's Day. Upon waking, I found a beautiful bouquet of vased flowers in the kitchen and a heartwarming card from my sweet Josh. We spent the entire day together, cleaning the house and literally making room for baby. Space has been cleared, and my mind's eye fades in and out the images of all the bottles, burp cloths, toys, diapers, that are to inhabit these spaces within months. My heart races. Later on, we joined our families for a fun Mother's Day dinner at Macayo's.

As my pregnancy progresses, I feel an acute understanding of and appreciation for my own mother and her history. It's funny, that as each phase of my life presents itself, I can then truly tap into what it must have been like for Mom during those same phases of her life; all of her stories take on a brand new relevance. It has opened my eyes and gifted us with some significant and heatwarming conversations. And just wait 'til the baby's actually here! I predict many phone calls with a sleepless me crying to her, "I had no idea I did this to you!".



:)

 
                         




 


                                          

1 comment:

  1. Very Sweet Heidi!
    Oh how I do not miss those days of bathing suit shopping feeling like two ton Tessy! LOL!!
    Before you know it, your little man will turn your world upside down. But as life presents you with this new perspective, you will look back and ask yourself, what ever was life like without him... xoxo

    ReplyDelete