Welcome! Glad you're here.

Welcome, family and friends! In an attempt to avoid chronic and obsessive Facebook updates ("Max had an A+ burp this morning!") and grainy ultrasound picture's of baby's right elbow (. . . you mean, not each of my 400 friends care to see this?), here you will find updates on Baby Kaplan, our journey into parenthood (the good, the bad, and the drooly), and living as a family of 3. So sit back, nosh on something yum, and click around.

Love,
Heidi, Josh, & Max

PS: As we are first time bloggers, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please note that we only accept praise.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Have a nice trip; see you next fall

Today was my 30 week visit to the OB, complete with his last ultrasound photoshoot 'til he arrives on the scene in August. I would have been counting down the mintues to dote over my little guy on the big screen, but as it happened, I got to see him swishing around only 5 days earlier, when I was admitted to the hospital.... (pan to a  flashback, caption: "5 Days Earlier")....

I am leaving my workplace after putting in a long day. Upon leaving the building, my foot caught a hole in the ground covered by grass, leading to a mother of an ankle roll and subsequently collapsing to the ground. It's amazing what the mind is capable of processing within a moment's time. In the voice of James Earl Jones, "Ohhhhh, F&#*!" slowly resonated through my inner ear as I accepted my immediate fate. Purse, appointment book and laptop bag skidded down the parking lot as my body gave out, lurched forward and was stopped only by my hands hitting the pavement before anything else. Within a few minutes, a coworker ran outside and ushered me to the nurse's office. Shaking, crying, and rubbing my belly, I hardly noticed that 911 had been called and the four burly EMTs jogging into the office with a well-practiced cadence. My vitals checked out just fine, and although I knew that I was going to be a-ok, I was instructed by my OB to go to the hospital to get the once over.

Josh met me on the OB floor, where I was admitted for a few hours. As expected, everything turned out just fine, and I was able to get an extra ultrasound out of it (mua hahaha). The best part was that Josh was able to be there for the ultrasound, as he was out of town for this morning's appointment.

I thought I would be limping around all Memorial Day weekend; luckily enough, however, I felt fine by Friday morning, when Josh and I hit the open road for a trip to Coronado Island. It was a vacation we planned months ago, something we consider a "last hoorah" before our lives are blissfully changed and we are on the clock at all times. As we had hoped, the weekend was perfect; relaxing, on no particular schedule, and simply ours. Remember my maternity bathing suit post? Yeah, I got to wear it, and I'll tell you, I felt kind of cute. Our friend Aura was in town for a pilates convention, so we had the opportunity to have dinner with her and catch up. It was a real treat for us as she and her husband Rick live on the east coast, so seeing them happens not nearly as frequently as we'd like.

Which takes us to the here and now. My ultrasound this morning went very well. To date, BabyK measures 3 lbs and 10 oz, which puts him in the 68th percentile for size. He was a little stubborn showing us anything but his boy parts, which were on display like the Hope Diamond. His little face was nuzzled into my hip, so we didn't get a great mug shot, but from what I can tell, and elimiating any bias whatsoever........he's the most gorgeous human being I've ever laid eyes on.



Coronado Beach....7.5 months pregnant





1 comment:

  1. And so confirms the label "high maintnence" LOL!
    Just kidding my dear. I am so thankful your little tumble was nothing serious but in the future, if you are wanting an extra ultrasound, please find an alternative way to stir things up a bit! wink wink.
    He is going to be here before we know it! (insert high pitched "yay" with a serious of fast clapping) : ) xoxo

    ReplyDelete