Welcome! Glad you're here.

Welcome, family and friends! In an attempt to avoid chronic and obsessive Facebook updates ("Max had an A+ burp this morning!") and grainy ultrasound picture's of baby's right elbow (. . . you mean, not each of my 400 friends care to see this?), here you will find updates on Baby Kaplan, our journey into parenthood (the good, the bad, and the drooly), and living as a family of 3. So sit back, nosh on something yum, and click around.

Love,
Heidi, Josh, & Max

PS: As we are first time bloggers, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please note that we only accept praise.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

All Aboard!

Today marks 24 weeks and 1 day along in the pregnancy. That's like, over 6 months, ya'll. And if I had ever been guilty of being too caught up in the process of pregnancy, in the magic of the journey of it all, my doctor redeemed me at my latest OB appointment:

"So, what are we thinking - vaginal or C-section?"

Whoa. Hold on here, I'm 6 months along...shouldn't we still be stroking my arm and telling me how much of a glow I emit,  or keeping tabs on my cravings and thoughfully poking fun at my mood swings? Is it really THAT time, to start considering the actual.....birth? I felt the dynamic shift at this appointment; sleeves were being rolled up and plans were being made. Everything up until now was like carefully house-hunting, and now we were ready to buckle down and put in an offer.

"So, what are we thinking - the tuscan ranch, or the tudor on the cul-de-sac?"

Things reached a new level of "real" at my last appointment - I was strongly encouraged to register for prenatal classes at the hospital, "just in case you hadn't already" (oops), and was handed a lovely parting gift of sugar bomb juice for my glucose testing in a few weeks. My belly was measured for the first time. The train for the last stretch of pregnancy was leaving the station, and I hopped on with all the other freaked out preggos.

It wasn't too long after my appointment that I contacted my friend Shannon, an employee and former co-worker of mine at the hospital where I plan to deliver the little booger. She has been so insrumental in helping me through the logistics of my pregnancy, and her knowledge and willingness to support Josh and I has been palpable. I was no less thankful when she offered to give Josh and I our own, private OB tour at the hospital, as she often runs these tours for larger groups of expectant couples. We were so grateful - touring labor and delivery, seeing the waiting rooms, looking at the little sink in each room where baby gets his first bath - really brought it home for us that we are to be parents in less than 4 months.

We continue to nest of course, too - the nursery is almost done and looks beautiful. I hope that in between burps and poops and feedings and snoozing and poops and poops, he will actually be able to notice and enjoy the room that was created for him. Josh and I also sold our beautiful baby grand piano, which was gifted to us from my brother Andy. With his blessing, we put it up for sale and subsequently have made a lot more space in our front room for a future play area. It was genuinely difficult watching the piano be packed up and wheeled out the front door, but it's a small sacrafice to make room for the incredible journey that lies ahead.

Speaking of incredible journeys, Happy Passover everyone! On Monday, Josh and I and my side of the family went to our annual Passover dinner at my second cousin's home in Scottsdale. It was wonderful to see everyone, and it dawned on me that next year at this time, we will have a little additon to bring with us to the seder. Josh and I left after cocktail hour to attend Josh's mom and stepdad's seder, which was fabulous as well. Tradition is very important to us, and we love making memories year after year at these types of gatherings. They are always such fun!

I have been getting charlie horse cramps in my calf muscles (muscles which, in 28 years, have yet to make an appearance) that send me through to roof, but I'll leave the lamenting for another post.

:)



No comments:

Post a Comment